We all now know what the “Internet” is, and you may even what an “Intranet” is, but do you know what an “Extranet” is and how it can help you as a business unit? As defined by whatis.com, “An extranet is a private network that uses Internet technology and the public telecommunication system to securely share part of a business's information or operations with suppliers, vendors, partners, customers, or other businesses.” With today’s growing business markets and the need for quick and efficient communications with clients, many companies are finding that the use of an Extranet can be very helpful. With an Extranet, you can:
- Gain access to company files and information systems remotely via secure web based interfaces
- Provide clients, suppliers or associates with access to internal documents/databases within your office from a remote location
- Allow clients to update account information
- Provide real-time status reports of projects / tasks to clients
- Allow clients to post work orders/requests to a company project management system
- Provide for greater communications between main office and remote locations
- Collaboration with partners and clients
- Share company and/or employee calendar(s)
- Secure conferencing systems
- Project Management
- Access account information (for clients or self) remotely
- Company training
- Business to Business e-Commerce applications
- Company news, and more.
The same benefits that Web technologies have brought to corporate web sites and intranets are now available to businesses, accelerating and improving their operations and communications between their employees, their partners and their clients. There are thousands of uses for an Extranet, but the main use is to gain access to internal company information or processes via a secure remote location. How you utilize this technology is up to you, but the application of this technology is limitless.
To find our how an Extranet can improve your company’s operation and communication, contact Jeff Anderson or Hank Burton at Literati at 304.296.8026.