Planning is a critical process to the success of any organization, and in this day and age, information technology plays a critical role in that success. If you’re like most organizations, you know that effective use of IT allows you to stay competitive and deliver the products or services you provide. However, what you may not know is how to create an IT plan.
Implementing an IT plan will help you think through your priorities in order to use technology to directly further your mission. An IT plan describes the current technology practices and resources in your organization and how your systems, infrastructure, and procedures will be upgraded over time to fully meet your needs. The results of the planning process will help you minimize technology-related crises, help you use staff time more efficiently, and help you budget for technology to make cost-effective purchases.
How can IT planning be beneficial to your business? Consider the following:
- Are the computers and applications up-to-date and functioning properly? Are problems with inadequate systems hindering your productivity?
- Are employees able to use technology efficiently to perform the tasks they need to accomplish?
- How would you assess your use of technology compared to your competitors? Would an improvement in your technology make your business more competitive and more attractive?
- Is an ineffective use of technology inhibiting your growth? Would you prefer that technology promote growth and opportunity instead of being an obstacle?
- Are you efficiently using networking for communication and operation advantages?
- What role does the implementation of new technologies play in your strategy for the next year? The next five years?
- Do you have a budget set for your IT expenditures? Or, will you simply purchase as needed?
Literati has worked with numerous organizations to help them identify their IT needs and establish a plan to meet those needs. If you are interested in creating an IT plan specific to your organization, contact Literati to discuss how we can help you with the development, implementation, and maintenance of an IT Plan that will add to the future success of your organization.